The family of 1.4-liter engines (BXW) used by the VAG alliance, including the second-generation Skoda Fabia, is considered quite reliable. Some managed to go through them to overhaul up to 350 thousand. However, this does not negate the systematic maintenance of the engine. Including timely replacement of the Skoda Fabia timing kit.
When to change the timing belts Skoda Fabia 1.4 BXW
“Belts” because there are two of them – one moves the camshaft of the exhaust valves, the other rotates the camshaft at the inlet through the pulley on the first camshaft. Sold complete with rollers. Theoretically, four rollers, but most of the cars that come to us, are three rollers.
Regulations for replacing the timing belt from the manufacturer – 120 thousand km. Given the quality of spare parts in our market, the interval should be reduced. At least up to 80,000 km. Regular belt checks are also provided for the Skoda Fabia. They need to be carried out after 25-30 thousand kilometers or every two years.
The first signs of belt wear are visible to the naked eye:
- Stratification of rubber material.
- The appearance of cracks and burrs.
- Tooth decay on belts.
- Traces of oil, antifreeze, or fuel on the surface of the belts.
As a result – check the condition of both belts every 25 thousand, and replacement will be required up to 80-85 thousand km, depending on operating conditions.
The pump changes as needed, but experienced drivers try to replace it every second replacement of timing belts, or after 140-160 thousand, if there are no complaints about it.
What you need to change the timing belt Skoda Fabia 1.4 BXW
The procedure itself is no more complicated than replacing the timing belt with a Daewoo Lanos, despite having two belts instead of one. With all that, we require a couple of extras. In particular, a device for blocking the rotation of the camshafts and a 12-faceted head of 21 mm for the crankshaft pulley bolt. Not without her.
It is difficult to call this device because it consists of two pins with a diameter of 8 mm. Or two bolts of this diameter. It is good if it is possible to use a conductor plate at a distance between the centers of the holes of 48 mm. It will not allow being mistaken at the installation of an intermediate belt.
Why it is necessary and why it is important. Very often, even experienced craftsmen neglect to block the camshafts, and as a result get an intermediate belt that sags in the upper stream. In this area, it should be stretched, if weak, we will lose the coincidence of marks on at least one tooth.
There will be no crime, but the phases of the gas distribution will be shifted, and the engine will run at low speeds incorrectly, failures and triplets are possible. This is a common mistake, so we pay special attention to this.
Otherwise, there will be no more problems with replacement. Practice shows that dismantling the engine protection and the right cushion will take longer than the replacement itself. In general, we only need a standard set of tools, a new set of timing gear (belts, rollers, someone’s pump, and antifreeze), and about an hour of free time.
How to replace the timing belt Skoda Fabia 1.4 BXW with your own hands
It would be nice to get acquainted with the factory manual before starting work, but if it is not there, we will try to fill this gap. Especially since the manual has a few unnecessary processes that you can do without. Tested practically.
The work must be performed according to the following algorithm:
- First, you have to remove the right front wheel and access the camshaft pulleys. Most likely, you will have to remove the mudguard with a wing.
- Place a stand under the motor tray. We need to take the load off the right support. Lift the engine with a jack, place a stand with a wooden backing and carefully lower the crankcase on it.
- Unbuckle the latches and remove the timing cover.
- Unscrew the right engine support – three bolts on the side of the unit and a nut on the side of the spar, head 16 mm.
- Remove the support bracket by unscrewing the four large bolts and one on the left, smaller.
- We get access to the camshaft drive belts.
- Set the crankshaft to the position of the top dead center of the compression stroke of the first cylinder. To do this, turn the shaft with a collar and a head of 21 mm. In no case do not turn the engine by means of camshafts, only a bolt of a pulley of a cranked shaft.
Install the pulley on the mark on the body of the lower casing of the timing belts.
- Tear off the crankshaft pulley mounting bolt. If there is an assistant, please depress the brake pedal with the fifth gear engaged to lock the shaft. Alternatively, you can insert a screwdriver between the cooling fins of the brake disc and try to break the bolt in this way. However, after that, it will be necessary to check the coincidence of the marks on the pulley.
- If the marks on the crankshaft pulley and housing coincide, install a device to lock the camshafts, as shown in the photo.
- Remove the auxiliary drive belt, turn the tension roller by the center bolt. When the holes in the inflow of the roller body and the cylinder block coincide, insert a drill or screw with a diameter of 3-4 mm into the hole.
- Calmly remove the generator drive belt and the pulley itself, screw the bolt in place.
- Remove the lower part of the timing cover.
- It is also necessary to loosen the tension of the main timing belt by turning the tension roller, remove the belt.
- Similarly, loosen the tension roller of the intermediate belt, remove them.
- Clean the block from dirt, remove old rollers, install new ones. If the kit includes a bypass roller on the bracket, put it.
- Pay attention to the tension of the intermediate belt – the upper branch must be stretched with the stoppers installed, and the crankshaft marks must coincide.
All timing belts are installed with inscriptions to themselves, it determines the direction of rotation!
- Install new belts, tension rollers, connecting the marks on the housings.
- Tighten the tension rollers.
- Remove the camshaft lock and turn the crankshaft several times with the collar and head 21. Make sure the marks on the crankshaft and camshaft drive pulley match exactly.
Assemble in reverse order.